Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Are You Happy?


Five minutes had passed and my client had not called in for his coaching session. So I decided to call him, no answer. I left my usual message when a client doesn’t show on time. A couple days had passed and I hadn’t heard from him. On the third day, I received a call from his wife. When I answered my phone, I recognized his number on caller id but it wasn’t him. It was his wife.

Hearing her voice and not his confused me and I thought, “What is going on?”. She began by telling me she was a little behind in returning calls and apologized it took a couple days to get back to me. Then she told me why she was calling and not her husband. She told me her husband died in his sleep just a few day’s ago. I was floored by this news. I thought I just coached him last week. He was such a great person who had a wife a small child.

As she told me the news and replayed it over she became very emotional. She was still in shock herself. I was very sadden by the news and hurt for her and the child. Then she asked me a question. She had an understanding of the coaching process. She new our coaching relationship was open and her husband most likely shared his personal thoughts. She asked a few questions which of course I answered. Then there was a pause and she asked, “Was he happy?” 

Isn’t that the essence of life - happiness. She new her husband wasn’t able to take any of his possessions he had with him. However she wanted to know at his death was he happy in life.

Stop and think about your life for a moment. Are you happy? Do you know what makes you happy? We can get immersed in life and focus on to much. We often lose the true meaning of life. I’ve found so many people don’t live their truest values. I’ve also noticed people don’t know how to define happiness. We make it very difficult to be happy. We need to be very rich in order to be happy. Well what if you’re not rich with money? No happiness for you, yes - no?

Take a moment and write down what you really value in life. Make a list of at least 10 of your top values. If you value meaningful conversations then write it down. I’d recommend after your initial list to give it a day and come back. Do you still agree with your list. Now ask what would it take to live these values. Let’s use the meaningful conversations as an example. If your rule to live that value was to be able to speak with your closest relationships every day in person. Well what if they live halfway around the world?

Here’s the point, we have rules which determines our happiness. If your rule is to be in person with your closest friends but they don’t live near you. Do you see the problem? Don’t make happiness so difficult. Begin to live your values and keep the rules easy.

I'd love for you to be as happy as you want. Here's a great resource - FREE audio coaching tips Get them here

No comments: