Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Split Second to Success

If I told you that a split second separates you from success would you believe me? Well over the last month this thought came to me when observing my five year old son Blake. He just started his first organized sport – soccer. Well, the organized part is debatable. However after watching the boys play in the game and at practice, I noticed the little guys had a pause before action. As the season went on I could tell which boys played before. Their pause was limited and didn’t happen as often. They also seemed to score all the goals too. So why do the boys hesitate anyways? Let’s take a look at what might be going on with the pause or hesitation. I don’t think it has to do with their physical ability. Their knowledge for the game seems equal, just kick the ball. The difference between the boys who hesitate versus those who don’t boils down to their thinking. The cause is their conscious mind and subconscious too. Will I get hurt? What am I doing? What do I do with the ball? I’m confused with all these boys around me… So it’s their mind that causes the hesitation. The boys who have played before have developed a different mind for the game. Their hesitation has been limited and they get better results. So what’s your hesitation been holding you back from? Have you had opportunities right in front of you that were lost? Did you see them as opportunities when presented or just more work? You hesitated, “I don’t have time” or “I don’t have the money” or “I don’t blah, blah, blah”. What’s going on with the little boy’s playing soccer isn’t any different with what’s going on with you. Your hesitation is stopping you from getting results. In order to eliminate the hesitation you need to just act. It comes down to the split second that determines results.

No comments: