Friday, October 7, 2011

What is Self Sabotage?


What is self sabotage? Where did it come from? I heard that back in the 80's there was this bug infecting mankind. A "Self Sabotage" bug that's out biting people which is contagious and couldn't be cured. No of course that didn't happen. Self-sabotage is nothing more than a mental block. It's not physical. It becomes physical but starts with mental images. The perception of who you are, in your mind's eye, how you see things, good or bad. I can't tell you how many times in a client has said, "I've really been postponing doing this activity." An example could be their business such as making calls. My client will tell me, "I just didn't want to call my clients today." They were scheduled to call the beginning of the month. No calls were made at the beginning, middle or end.

Now, there is tremendous amount of pain. Why? Why did my client not make those phone calls? Simply because he had a mental block. In his mind's eye, he saw something that wasn't good. He chose to see clients firing him. His mental image was the client telling him his services are no longer needed. So that's what he saw in his eye. It's all about the movie he saw in his head. As time went on it got more painful and there was a block. He self-sabotaged himself. The pain finally got him to move and take action and make some calls. To his dismay the calls went very well. The client was pleased to hear from him. What actually happened versus what he chose to see were quite the opposite. He realized the only problem was himself. After making one call and realizing it wasn't bad he made many more calls.

This wasn't a physical limitation - he had the ability to pick up the phone and dial. What blocked him was his mental image. Have you ever had a thought that something was going to go bad? How long did you let this mental image block you? The mental image our mind creates is our perception. Our perception impairs us because of the bad feeling we've created. I've worked with clients all over the world and seen it to many times. Self sabotage holds us back from what we truly desire.

Become aware that you are sabotaging yourself. If you find yourself saying something like, "I know what I need to do.... to become healthy, lose weight, build muscle, I know what to do for my business, for my profession, or as a parent." Whatever it is, they know what they need to do but they don't do it. "Why don't I do it?" Which then I tell them you sabotage yourself. You have this mental block that you allow, that you've conditioned over and over and over to the point where it is not conscious to you at all.

The first strategy in breaking through self sabotage is awareness. I mentioned this is a behavior that you've been doing for so long. You're not conscious of it - you don't see it. So, become aware in other words - wake up. Over the next 10 days put up your antennas and become aware of your sabotage behaviors. Are you going to continue to be your own block to success? To learn more listen to the replay teleseminar - Self Sabotage NO MORE! http://bit.ly/djisabotage







No comments: