Wednesday, June 14, 2017


Step Out Of Your Comfort Zone

Recently someone asked me, “Darryl are you growing?” Now, I truly wasn’t sure if this person was consciously asking me this question to see if I was growing personally, but I was pretty confident they weren’t asking me if I was physically growing. The question really hit me. It made me think, “Am I growing, expanding and evolving…?”

The more I thought about it, I began to realize that, I grow, when I get out of my comfort zone. Let me share a story about myself. When I was a little kid, I was very shy and never wanted to be in the spotlight. Actually, I did everything in my power to be invisible. When all eyes were on me in school, I would get super nervous and it was hard to speak in front of others. I was the kid who never raised his hand in class, because I thought if I spoke up then the other students would look at me. Sounds crazy when I think about it but that’s how it was.

I lived this way for too long and never changed. I made sure I stayed in my own comfort zone. For awhile I was okay with this. I was okay being small and unseen. It was more important for me to be comfortable. However, deep inside me, I hated that I chose to be small and comfortable. I wanted to step out of my comfort zone but was afraid.

Finally I got sick and tired of living this way. I had dreams and wanted the bigger me to show up. I knew that I couldn’t be the small little boy. If I wanted to make a difference and play a bigger life, I need to face my fear and get uncomfortable, I would need to step out of my comfort zone.

What I learned when asked, “Are you growing?” Is that I grow as a person when I get out of my comfort zone. When I take action and move toward what I fear.

I faced my fear and started public speaking. This was a drastic change and at times I felt like I got way out in the land of uncomfort, a place that was very unfamiliar to me. When thinking back I was very alive, each time I got up to speak, I felt I was growing as a person. My confidence grew more and more. So if you want to grow, you must get outside of your comfort zone.

Here’s a great exercise…. I refer to this as the circle of comfort. Draw a circle on a piece of paper, inside the circle is the land of comfort. If you want to GROW you need to step out of the circle. So write down specific actions, such as, make a presentation, pick-up the phone and make that call, leaders step up. The great thing is you can go back to the circle and find comfort.

Go and face your fears, step out of your comfort zone. You’ll grow as a person and your life will change before your eyes.

***COMPLIMENTARY AUDIO PROGRAM*** CLICK HERE TO GET NOW "THINK BIG PLAY BIG"

No comments: